Costa Rica Holidays
Costa Rica holidays
Prices from £2,756 pp for a 14 night itinerary
Located in Central America between the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. Costa Rica encapsulates dense jungles, rugged beaches, active volcanoes and eerie cloudforests. It is home to 5% of the world’s total biodiversity and more than 800 species of bird. Ideal for self-drive trips, activities and family holidays.
Small and breathtakingly beautiful, Costa Rica has much to offer its visitors, with its dramatic scenery and unsurpassed opportunities to see a wide variety of wildlife in their natural habitat. Costa Ricans (‘Ticos’) enjoy the opportunity to show visitors their wonderful country and wherever you go you will find a warm welcome.
Located in the tropics of Central America, Costa Rica is a small country, (two-thirds of the size of Scotland), with a population of 4.5 million Spanish speaking people. Discovered by Christopher Columbus and named Costa Rica (rich coast) in 1502, it is lush and fertile. Today much of its economy is based around the export of fruit (mainly bananas & pineapple), sugar cane and coffee. Coffee is known locally as the ‘grano de oro’ (grain of gold) as it was this that originally brought wealth to the country.
Holidays In Costa Rica
Called the ‘Switzerland of Central America’ due to its neutrality and the abolition of its army in 1948, Costa Rica is an independent republic and one of the oldest democracies in America. It has enjoyed political stability for many years. 93% of the population can read and write, and it has an excellent National Health Service.
With hundreds of miles of beaches, and imposing mountains and volcanoes, Costa Rica has 3 climate zones: the central highlands, the Pacific coast, and the Caribbean coast. These variations within such a small area encourage a great diversity of wildlife and Costa Rica is home to 5% of the world’s total biodiversity. There are more than 800 species of birds (more than the whole of North America), 1,200 species of orchids, 10% of the world’s butterfly species, 8,000 species of higher plants and over 150 species of edible fruits. In recognition of this approximately 25% of Costa Rica is now protected, given over to national parks and reserves.
A Costa Rica holiday at a glance
- Beautiful, small, compact country - See 14-night highlights of Costa Rica itinerary
- Jungle, beaches, cloudforest, active volcanoes
- Easy to get around – perfect for fly drive. See - wildlife and beaches fly-drive itinerary
- Dry season December to April, but most areas can be visited all year round
- Amazing selection of wildlife- including turtles, monkeys, sloths, butterflies, caiman, crocodiles, iguanas, poison dart frogs and armadillo. See 14-night Wildilfe itinerary
- Excellent bird watching – over 800 species including humming birds, toucans and scarlet macaws
- Wonderful flora – including 8,000 species of orchid, 150 species of edible fruits and ‘walking palm trees’ - See 14-night fly-drive flora & fauna itinerary
- Good quality accommodation available
- Selection of wonderfully remote, rustic jungle lodges for wildlife viewing
- Ideal for Costa Rica adventure holidays, activities including; white water rafting and horse riding
- Perfect for honeymoons and romantic getaways- See honeymoon with a difference itinerary or, for something special also see Costa Rica in luxury itinerary
- Great for families
Flights from London Heathrow to San Jose via Europe (Madrid) with Iberia. Also flights from London Heathrow to San Jose via the United States (Atlanta, Houston or Newark) with Delta or United. KLM also offer a service to San Jose via Amsterdam and Panama City. Any flights via the US require an ESTA application. Regional departures including Manchester and Birmingham also available on request.