Kythnos Walking Holiday
As mentioned in our island description, our walking/hiking holidays here are the best ways to get under the skin of this charming and little known Cycladic island. They are really 'walking plus' trips because they also include any cultural events (local festivals etc.) that may be taking place - and there are many in the summer - as well as taking in an archaeological site, villages, churches, a ruined castle, Katafiki Cave, thermal springs, a folk museum, a honey farm and, of course, various beaches (most walks include a swim stop).
From £895 per person
Return flights to Athens, 7 nights at the Messaria Hotel and transfers, meals and walks as detailed.
The walks: There are four main walks during the week, ranging from 11 kms to 14 kms and walking time (without breaks) is usually 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Walks start at 09.00 am, generally returning mid to late afternoon. One walk, on the Sunday before departure, is shorter (c.1 hour) and planned to give some beach time at famous Kolona, returning by sea taxi. There is one free day mid-week. The walking standard is mainly intermediate. Although there are some shorter steeper passages the heights are not particularly significant - the island only goes up to 350 metres - while the terrain of the mule-track paths can be rugged. We can also arrange shortened 5 and 6 night itineraries, still out on Monday but returning on Sat or Sun.
On arrival at Athens Airport, transfer to Lavrio Port (40-minutes). Onwards ferry transfer from Lavrio Port to Kythnos (via Kea). Transfer on arrival to the Messaria Hotel.
This evening we have included an introductory dinner at a taverna in Chora.
Excursion: Walk: 10.7km, 4.5 hrs
The walk today will lead you from Chora, via Diassela to Vryokastro. During the day you will visit the excavations at Vryokastro and have the opportunity to swim in the sea and a enjoy a beach picnic. In the evening, dinner is included at a taverna in Chora.
Walk: 14km, 5 hrs
Your full day walk will take you from Chora to Loutra and Orias Castle. Again, time is permitted for a swim and a visit to the hot springs. In the evening, join the local celebrations at the church in Chora (food, drink, music and dancing).
Day at leisure.
Walk: 12km, 5 hrs
Today's walk heads to the beaches of Aghios Ioannis and Aghios Stephanos and allows plenty of time for a swim and for relaxing under the tamerisk trees. This evening we have included entrance to the folk museum for you and a fish dinner in a local taverna.
Walk: 12.5km, 5 hrs
This morning you will be transferred to Kanaia for a coastal walk to Kalo Livadi and Panaghia Mathia. A packed lunch is included for you and there is also time for a swim at Lefkes and a visit to a local honey farm. This evening, travel to Katafiki to visit the cave and for dinner.
Walk: 6km, 1.5 hrs
Your half day walk will take you to the iconic Kolona Beach, where there is free time for swimming, eating and relaxing. Your return to Chora will be by sea taxi and bus/taxi. This evening a farewell dinner is included in Chora.
Transfer to Athens, by ferry and taxi, for your return flight to the UK.
Notes: Based on 2016 ferry timings - schedules may change. Walks and timings may be adjusted depending on local circumstances. All distances, times are approximate; walk durations are time on trails, excluding breaks. Clients with an earlier flight back to UK (e.g. Manchester) will take an afternoon ferry from Kythnos on Sunday (dep 1700 arr 1840 in 2016) and overnight at the Saron Hotel in Lavrio with dinner before transfer to the airport on Monday morning to connect with their flight.
- Return flights to Athens
- All transfers and ferry tickets
- BB accommodation at the Messaria Hotel
- 4 full walking days and 1 short walking day
- Qualified guide on all walks
- Packed lunch on the 4 full day walks
- 6 evening meals in local tavernas
- Visit to any local festival(s) that may take place
- Free copy of Kythnos Hiking Guide (per booking)
- Walking weeks operate on all dates from early April to late October, on Mondays (early flight out, afternoon or evening back). Unless as detailed in the Notes section above.
- The minimum number for the programme to operate is 2 persons. For sole travellers we operate a waitlist system. Minimum age is 12 years.
- A good level of fitness is required.
- Walking boots are recommended for ankle support but not essential other than in April and October when there may be some rain. Good quality trainers should suffice for other periods.
- A short stay in Athens can be tailored in any holiday here, as can a stay on one of the neighbouring islands of Serifos, Sifnos, Milos and Folegandros.
To book this itinerary, or discuss a tailor-made alternative, call one of our Sunvil experts on:
020 8758 4758
Or complete our online booking form