PORTUGAL - Car Hire Terms & Conditions 2024
Included in your Europcar rental
1. Unlimited mileage
2. Loss Damage Waiver (Basic LDW). In the event of an accident or theft of the rental car this insurance covers the full value of the vehicle. However, you remain liable for the excess amount of: 1168.50 Euros (Group MBMR & EDMR); 1,968.00 Euros (Groups CDMR & CWMR); 2,583.00 Euros (Group CCAR & IDMD); 2,829.00 Euros (Group CTMD); 3,690 Euros (Group JVMD). Please note that this insurance does not cover damage to the vehicle’s tyres, undercarriage or windscreen.
3. Domestic one-way rentals on hire periods of 3 days or longer. Rentals of 1-2 days incur a one way supplement payable locally.
4. Third Party Liability Insurance. This covers any third party in the event of an accident.
5. LAF (Vehicle Licensee Fee) and VAT at 23%
Payable locally (compulsory)
1. An airport service charge of 30.75 Euros is mandatory and payable locally.
Not included and payable locally (optional)
Please note that you do not have to purchase any of the below. Should you decide to do so, these will be noted on your rental agreements and be payable locally.
1. Premium Loss Damage Waiver Insurance. This is an extra charge, which if paid, will void any excess payable in the event of an accident or theft of the rental car.
2. Personal Accident Insurance (PAI). This insurance is optional and payable locally at 8.61 Euros (1-2 days), 7.99 Euros (3-7 days) and 6.76 (8-14 days) per day. Please check with your insurance company prior to departure to see if you will be covered.
3. Any applicable after hours airport charges. The after hours charge is 30.75 Euros.
4. Each additional driver must pay a supplement locally at 9.22 Euros per day (maximum 92.25 Euros per rental).
5. A one-way supplement applies if the rental is less than 3 days, if the drop-off point is different from the collection point. The price, to be paid locally, is between 24.60 to 123.00 Euros depending on the location.
6. Roadside Assistance Cover (RSA). This protects against having to pay recovery charges for breakdowns caused by the customer or as a result of using the wrong fuel, breakage or loss of the rental vehicle’s keys; as well as punctures and/or damage to tyres that are excluded from the scope of the free service and will be subject to a flat charge rate.
7. Infant/Baby and Booster seats are compulsory with all car rentals in Portugal and payable locally. Infant/Baby seats (up to 7 years) are payable locally at a rate of 10.45 Euros per day (maximum of 104.55 Euros per rental). Booster seats (8-12 years) are payable locally at a rate of 6.76 Euros per day (67.65 Euros per rental). Please request at the time of booking.
8. Portugal has electronic tolls (no pay booths) on the A22 Algarve motorway, and other similar motorways in the north of Portugal. Clients can rent an electronic transponder, which is fitted to each vehicle, from Europcar at a charge of 2.15 Euros per day (maximum 21.52 Euros per rental). Therefore any toll road fees will be added to your bill and paid directly to Europcar.
9. GPS Navigation System equipment is available to hire at a rate of 12.30 Euros per day (maximum of 137.76 Euros per rental). This equipment is only available for rentals collected and returned to the same airport. There is a penalty of 159.90 Euros if not returned with the car.
Note: Sunvil recommend that clients hire a GPS (if not taking their own SatNav or mobile phone navigation app) and also the electronic transponder when driving along toll roads in Portugal.
1. Cars will be supplied with a full tank of petrol. Clients will be required to leave a credit card imprint corresponding to a full tank of petrol. This deposit will be refunded when the car is returned with a full tank of petrol. Any missing fuel on the return of the vehicle will incur an additional service charge of 36.90 Euros on top of the missing fuel charge, payable locally. Please note that the credit card needs to be in the name of the designated driver. All major credit cards accepted.
2. A valid, full UK or EU driving licence, issued not less than one year prior to rental is required and two years if a larger vehicle.
3. Driving is on the right.
4. Minimum driver age is 19 years and 25 years for larger vehicles. Young drivers aged between 19-22 years are charged a supplement of 6.15 Euros per day (maximum 61.50 Euros per rental). No maximum driver age limit.
5. We can request, but not guarantee a particular make of car.
6. Europcar offers a 29-minute grace period after the pre-booked time of vehicle return. Returning the rental car 30-minutes or longer after this pre-booked time will incur additional charges, payable locally.
7. We are not liable for any police or traffic fines incurred by clients.
8. These conditions also apply to car hire already included in the cost of our holiday.
9. All local charges quoted here include VAT (23%).
10. Airports are open 365 days a year. Opening hours at Porto airport at 07:00-24:00; Lisbon airport 06:30-01:00 and Faro airport 06:30-24:00.
11. Distances in Portugal are relatively short and the majority of roads are good. Some roads can be precipitous with hairpin bends and the minor roads can be quite rough. Motorways and some main roads have pay tolls. Tolls must be paid within 5-days of using the road at either a post office (Correios) or a designated ‘pay shop’.
12. Please advise us, at the time of booking, of any ENDORSEMENTS ON YOUR LICENCE.
Alternative excess cover that can be purchased directly online and will cover clients for a year for any vehicle you hire in Europe…
Excess Car Insurance (optional)
More people are now purchasing Excess Insurance before they travel, finding it better value if renting for more than 7 days, or hiring a car abroad more than once a year.
A number of companies such as www.insurance4carhire.com offer this product. This insurance covers not only the insurance excess but also the underside of the car, windows and tyres.
Please ensure you have all necessary receipts before you leave the country should you need to make a claim, as you will have to pay and claim it back on your return to the UK.