Presidential Train - 2020 Farewell Edition
Treat yourself to a once in a lifetime gourmet train experience aboard the historic and luxurious Presidential Train. The journey will pass through stunning scenery of terraced vineyards winding through the spectacular Douro Valley in northern Portugal. Travel through history in an atmosphere of luxury and comfort whilst enjoying a gastronomic treat – a meal prepared by some of the world’s leading culinary talents, aboard the most exquisite train in Portuguese history.
The year 2020 will mark the final year of operation for the famous train with only 12 journeys scheduled in September, October and November 2020.
- 26th and 27th September
- 3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 17th, 18th, 24th, 25th and 31st October
- 1st November
The train has carried Presidents, Heads of State, Kings and Popes for over a century. Built in 1890, it served the court of King D. Luis I as the Royal Train, receiving on board honoured guests such as Queen Elizabeth II and Pope Paul VI. Renamed ‘Presidential Train’ at the beginning of the century, it transported the Portuguese Heads of State until 1970, when it was officially withdrawn from circulation. Beautifully restored in 2010, the furniture and charm that made it iconic remain intact and has since been on display at the National Railway Museum in Entroncamento (111 km north of Lisbon near Tomar) as the most iconic piece of Portuguese railway history.
Day Packages include:
- 9-hour Journey aboard the Presidential Train
- 4-course gourmet Tasting Menu
- Wine appreciation
- Exclusive access to Quinta do Vesuvio or similar quinta with Port wine tasting
- Bar with live music
- Tea lounge
- Exclusive gift bag and collection book autographed by the Chef
Price is £682 per person
- The journey starts and finishes at São Bento station, in the centre of Porto. The train leaves promptly at 11:45 and returns at c.22:00.
- Each guest is accommodated in a compartment made up of 2, 3 or 6 seats and a seat in one of the restaurant carriages (on a shared table of 4 people).
- Lunch will be served in one of the three dining carriages.
- There will be a 2-hour stopover where guests will have exclusive access to one of the oldest private Quintas in the Douro – the Quinta do Vesuvio or Quinta dos Malvedos. Here you will have the opportunity to taste some of the finest port wines in Portugal and, during harvest time, there will be a chance to participate in the classic wine treading ritual.
- During the return journey (Vesuvio-Porto), there will be live music in the bar carriage and an afternoon tea lounge-car.
- There are no electric points or air-conditioning on the train
- No children under 12 years of age but may be flexible - on request.
- Smoking on the train is not permitted.
- The trip is dependent on a minimum number of participants; the train company reserves the right to cancel the trip if the number of participants reached is less than the minimum. In these cases, the customer will be informed within a 10-day notice of the cancellation.