Holidays to Rio de Janeiro
Rio De Janeiro holidays
‘A Cidade Maravilhosa’ - the marvellous city. This is without doubt one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Even its own vastness is dwarfed by the dramatic landscape in which it is set. Built on a 60 km beach front, Rio has a population of 12 million, and is split into 156 districts.
This city has everything: vibrant music, excellent restaurants, beautiful people, 12 football teams, night clubs, cheap shopping and white sandy beaches. The city is best appreciated from one of the two best viewpoints and landmarks of Rio - the 30m high statue of Christ The Redeemer, atop the 710 m high Corcovado Mountain and the 396 m high granite cone of Sugar Loaf Mountain.
Holidays In Rio De Janeiro
In Rio today, wealthy neighbourhoods like Ipanema and Leblon stand side by side with the legendary favelas (shanty towns), built on steep hillsides, in which 20% of Cariocas (Rio’s inhabitants) live. Rocinha, the largest favela in South America, houses 80,000 people. However, full employment has meant that modern-day favelas generally have electricity, and brick is rapidly replacing wood and corrugated iron as a building material.
Beach culture dominates the city. Copacabana beach is at the centre of this and locals make full use of its riches. The beach is a place to relax, the place to play football or beach volleyball, to walk, to sunbathe, to see and to be seen - it is the beating heart of Rio. During summer, (December to March) temperatures range from 32°C to 42°C with high humidity. In winter the temperature drops to a comfortable 22°C to 32°C. The sea is always warm.
The Statue of Christ the Redeemer is one of the seven new wonders of the world.
Highlights of Rio
- Corcovado – the statue of Christ the Redeemer, one of the Seven New Wonders of the World
- Sugar Loaf Mountain, where the glass-panelled cable car travels between two granite peaks nearly 400m high
- Tijuca Forest – the largest urban forest in the world, with amazing views of the city
- Copacabana, Ipanema & Leblon – just 3 of the wonderful beaches, each with a different personality
- Lapa – the bohemian district of Rio, where you can samba till dawn
- Try the local drink of Caipirinha; a delicious cocktail of cachaca (local rum) mixed with fresh lime, sugar and crushed ice.
- Carnival – unequalled in the world, but so popular you need to book months in advance!
To book, or for more information please call
020 8758 4774Enquire Online