Enjoy an unforgettable adventure filled with caves, volcanic drop-offs, underwater arches and an abundance of both Atlantic and Tropical fish life – parrot fish, groupers, sting and eagle rays, moray and conger eels, barracudas, amberjacks, turtles and dolphins. A fully equipped PADI dive centre is based in Horta.
Princess Alice bank (Jul-Sep)
The setting in the middle of the Atlantic offers the unique possibility to dive in the realm of seamounts. One of the few truly diveable oceanic seamounts of the Atlantic is located 45 miles SSW of the dive centre, the Princess Alice bank. Here you are venturing into the kingdom of the sea nomads and the large oceanic predators. Glide among dozens of manta rays, giant jacks, barracuda walls and massive schools of skipjack tuna. An experience you will never forget.
Meet at Horta marina at 07:30; 3 hour trip each way with about 4-5 hours at the site; 2 dives are included with a break on the surface (1-2 hours); About 8-9 hours at sea in total; Not recommended for those who suffer from sea sickness; Varied diving experience accepted as the sea bank is 32m deep, and there are always two trained guides present. Those with less experience can stay at a lesser depth because the mammals also come to the surface; A snack and soft drinks are included.
Price is £278 per person (2 dives from a Catamaran) or £243 (2 dives from a Zodiac) - minimum 6 people
Notes: A check dive is required before diving in Princess Alice Bank at an additional cost of £56 per person
Shark Dive (Jul-Sep)
If you choose to venture into the nearby Condor bank, the domain of one of the most beautiful and elegant ocean predators – the blue shark, then you will experience a dive unlike any other in the whole of Europe.
Meet at Horta marina at 08:00; Duration of the trip is about 4-5 hours, depending on when the sharks appear – usually it takes less time; Picnic lunch (sandwiches and fruit) included; Divers and snorkellers welcome; Sharks are brought to the surface by feeding them sardines, mackerel and tuna blood; Dives no more than 10 metres required; No cages required as the species that they usually see in the Azores are Blue Sharks (Prionace Glauca), Mako Sharks (Isurus Oxyrinchus) and Hammerhead Sharks (Sphyrna Zygaena).
Price is £187 per person - minimum 4 people
Note: A check dive is required before diving in Princess Alice Bank at an additional cost of £56 per person
Coastal Dives (Apr-Oct)
There is a wide variety of dives targeting different species in different locations, banks near the coast, volcanic caves, etc. Locations are chosen depending on the experience of the divers. It is possible to dive in these locations with good visibility and no current between the months of April to October.
Price is £76 per person (Baptism - 1 dive)
Price is £66 per person (Night or Cave dive)
- Excursion provider: Norberto Diver
- Meeting point is Norberto Diver base in Horta marina at 08:30 for a normal dive; 07:30 off shore dives (Princess Alice); 08:00 Shark dives (or can be taken in the afternoon on request)
- Daily activity, mid Mar-mid Oct, for baleen whales and other marine mammals
- Suitable for all, from complete beginner to the most experienced, with boat dives
- Catamaran (8-10 people max) and Zodiacs (4-6 people max)
- Best season is Jul-Sep for mantas (devil rays) and other pelagics (bonito tuna, barracudas, skipjack tuna and some varieties of rays)
- Coastal dives include a 15 litre tank (232 BAR), weight belt, dive master guidance and boat transportation to and from the dive sites, within a 6-mile radius
- Minimum age of 12yrs applies if a Junior open water certificate achieved
- All divers have to carry a valid diving and medical certificates confirming fitness to dive
- Supplement per person for hire of wetsuit and regulator applicable locally (20 Euros per dive)
- There is a PADI dive shop in Horta