Pico Mountain Hike
For the more adventurous traveller a climb to the summit of Mount Pico can present the opportunity of a life time especially if you are blessed with clear skies. The peak, at 2,351 metres, offers spectacular views over the central islands of the archipelago. The ascent generally takes between 3½ and 4½ hours depending on how fit you are and weather conditions. The climb should only be attempted by strong walkers. The walk is not technically difficult but would involve some steep slopes along uneven paths and in places slippery vegetation and loose stones. The climb starts from 1200 metres. To climb the mountain you must be accompanied by a qualified guide.
- Price from Madalena is £76 per person (based on 2 people)
- Price from São Roque is £186 per person (based on 2 people)
- Price from Prainha is £91 per person (based on 2 people)
- Excursion provider: Melo
- Daily pick-up from hotels at 06:30
- Duration: 7 hours including 3-4 hours uphill
- Difficulty Level: High
- Accompanied by an experienced English speaking guide
- Equipment required: Comfortable clothing, walking boots, rain jacket, sun lotion, water, food supplies and a camera
- Prices for larger groups on request
Private Taxi Tours
Sunvil is able to pre-book the following private taxi tours on Pico with English speaking driver. Tours can also be tailor-made to suit the individual requirements of our clients, please telephone us for a quotation.
Pico Island (Full Day)
Depart from Madalena to the village of São Roque on the north coast of Pico, visiting the black rocks of Cachorro en route. Take the mountain road (altitude 900m) towards the village of Lajes do Pico, which for many years was the centre of the whaling industry in the Azores. Continue on to the Whaler’s Museum and home to a fascinating exhibition about the industry. Return to Madalena stopping at ‘Verdelho’ wine cellar en route.
- Price from Madalena is £157 per taxi
- Price from São Roque is £170 per taxi
- Price from Prainha is £183 per taxi
Faial Island (Full Day)
Depart from Madalena harbour to Faial Island (30 minutes by boat) – boat ticket not included. From Horta harbour take the mountain road towards Caldeira, the highest point on Faial at 1,043 metres. Continue north to Capelinhos, the site of the last volcanic eruption in the Azores in 1957 and visit the museum, which details the evolution of the eruption. Return to Pico by boat.
- Price from Horta harbour (Faial) is £206 per taxi
- Excursion provider: Melo
- Pick-up from hotels in Madalena (Pico) at about 09:00
- Meeting point on Faial (when coming from Pico) is Horta harbour
- Prices are based on a maximum of 3 people per taxi
- Full day (7 hours)
- Not included: Lunch and entrance fees to museums and parks and the boat crossing between Madalena (Pico) and Horta (Faial)
- A qualified English speaking guide can be provided at a supplement on request