The Azores is open for UK visitors and has been categorised as 'Amber' by the UK government. The requirements for travellers are detailed below:
- A PCR test taken within 72 hours of your departure from the UK or a rapid antigen test taken within 48 hours of travel. A negative test result is required in order to travel - children aged 12yrs or younger are exempt. At Sunvil, we have a partnership with Randox Health (one of the UK government's approved PCR providers) and our travellers can purchase a test at a reduced rate - see below.
- A completed declaration form. This questionnaire must be completed prior to departure and your negatative PCR test result attached. It is your responsibility to do so as will be any costs incurred for new flight tickets and amendments to your travel plans should the form not be submitted. Airlines are denying boarding to those who fail to provide evidence of their submission. A further declaration is required for inter-island travel. IMPORTANT: The Azores are offering a voucher worth 35 Euros for all passengers travelling to the islands with evidence of a negative PCR test - please ensure you consent to the “Destination Insurance Azores Voucher” in order to benefit from this promotion. The voucher can be used as payment in restaurants, bars and also for local car hire and excursion providers signed up to the scheme.
- Furthermore, if staying in the Azores for seven or more days, on the 6th day after the date of your pre-departure PCR test. This is also required on Day 12 if staying for longer than 13 days. Sunvil's local agent will assist with these tests and they are offered free of charge by the local government.
- A PCR, LAMP or Antigen test taken at a clinic within 72 hours of your return to the UK. This test is taken and payable locally - our team on the ground will provide the necessary information. A negative test result is required in order to travel. Further details can be found here.
- A completed UK Passenger Locator Form (PLF).
- PCR tests on return from travels as per the government's traffic light system. A Day 2 test. For travellers prior to 19 July 2021, a 10-day period of self-isolation applies plus the need for a PCR test on/before Day 2 and on/after Day 8. These tests must be ordered before your return to the UK and evidence of this purchase must be added to the UK Passenger Locator Form.
In UK tests:
At Sunvil, we have a partnership with Randox Health (one of the UK government’s approved providers) and our travellers can purchase tests at a reduced price:
23 Finsbury Circus
Tel: 0800 254 5130
With Randox, you will self-administer a swab test using the instructions in the test kit provided and send the test back to Randox using one of their local drop boxes or a courier. Once the test has been analysed you will be sent an electronic test certificate.
Full testing information and details of additional suppliers can be found here.
Please also ensure that you are familiar with the new rules for travel within Europe from 01 January 2021. A synopsis of the changes can be found in our dedicated blog.
The Azores received recently the distinction "Coronavirus Safest Destination" from the European Best Destination Organisation, based on health security measures in the tourism sector and its related activities, the low number of cases and security in the local health service.
Measures being carried out at Azores airports:
- Reinforced cleaning with hospital-level disinfectants
- On-going cleaning teams in various areas
- Disinfection using advanced technology UV equipment
- Increase of hand sanitisers at all points of the terminals
- Signage and disclosure of the use of a mask on the terminal
- Body temperature measurement camera system in coordination with health entities