Welcome to Sunvil Discovery’s specialist Italian programme. Italy is a beautiful country which cannot fail to impress. Rich in culture and history, it has an unending list of attractions to suit all tastes and interests. Simply mention fashion and immediately names like Armani, Versace, Ferragamo and Dolce e Gabbana roll off the tongue.
It is impossible to talk about gastronomy without thinking about Italian cuisine from rich pastas and delicate pastries to the mouth-watering Neapolitan ice cream.
The cities of Rome, Florence and Venice, all UNESCO World Heritage Sites, are home to some of the world’s best known works of art from Botticelli’s painting of the ‘Birth of Venus’ to Michelangelo’s awe-inspiring paintings adorned on the roof of the Sistine chapel. Some of the best ruins of the ancient Greek world are to be found in southern Italy and Sicily – Paestum, Selinunte, Segesta and Syracuse to name but a few.
Holidays In Italy
Sunvil has been a long established operator, since 1979, to the more interesting parts of Sicily and, in 2012, we are featuring, under our Sicily Today banner, accommodation in farm and manor houses - some quite luxurious - with particular emphasis on the fresh produce, wine and local cuisine relating to each individual property. The properties are located in the interior and on the coast and can be linked via fly-drive itineraries with particular emphasis on gastronomy, the Norman culture, the wines of Sicily and the heritage of Lord Nelson, Duke of Bronte, who had close links with Sicily.
Our holidays are best suited to independent, seasoned travellers wishing to immerse themselves further in local culture. Choose from a wide range of accommodation from city centre hotels, small family-run properties, restored farm houses and luxurious resort accommodation – the choice is yours.
Our knowledge allows us to guide you with confidence and to design an itinerary that will suit your specific tastes and requirements. We know our featured properties and are happy to answer any questions that you might have. We pride ourselves on offering a highly personal service and good value for money.
Throughout our Italy and Sicily programme you will find ideas for 3 and 7 night holidays. However, these holidays are not fixed, they are just examples designed to give an idea of what we offer. If you have a holiday idea that is not featured on our website, please do not hesitate to give us a call – we will soon tell you if it is feasible and realisable at an acceptable cost. For instance, over a 2 week period it is possible to combine a short city break with a rural retreat, or combine a number of properties as part of a fly-drive itinerary. It is also possible to combine a stay on the Italian mainland with a holiday on Sicily.
**Italian Tourist Tax**
An Italian tourist tax is being introduced gradually across Italy and probably Sicily. All visitors must pay locally approximately 1 to 5 Euros per person per night according to their accommodation star rating i.e. up to a maximum of 5 Euros per person for a 5-star property. This tax is not included in your holiday price.
- We are able to arrange holidays to suit individual requirements.
- We can arrange city breaks, one centre or multi-centre holidays in Italy, Sicily and Lipari.
- Transfers between holiday centres can be arranged by private transfers, ferries, trains in Italy, domestic flight or self-drive car hire.
- It is also possible to quote for ground arrangements only, excluding flights.
- We have a range of accommodation to suit all budgets and requirements.
- The majority of our accommodation does not require a minimum stay or set day of arrival.
- On request: For complicated tailor-made holidays we need to confirm that the accommodation and/or transport are available through our local agent, so this process may take longer to confirm, usually between 24-48 hours.
(Between Italy, Sicily and Lipari)
- We can combine mainland Italy with Sicily or, Sicily with the Aeolian island of Lipari.
- It is possible to spend a few days on mainland Italy and then fly to Sicily for the second centre or vice versa.
- Combine a stay on Sicily and visit Lipari by hydrofoil from Milazzo (1-hour crossing) or from Capo d’Orlando (mid Jun to Sept - 75-minutes’ crossing) as a day trip or longer stay. The remaining 6 Aeolian islands (Vulcano, Panarea, Stromboli, Alicudi, Filicudi and Salina) can be visited from Lipari by boat.
- We are able to book travel on all airlines and have special rates with British Airways and Meridiana.
- Flights into one airport and out of another can be arranged to allow for more complex itineraries.
One call to us will save you considerable time and effort, and probably cost no more (in the end) than trying to arrange it all by yourself. Most important of all, it is much safer: we are fully ATOL-bonded so your money is 100% protected, and by law we take full responsibility for our arrangements, which is not necessarily the case with ‘internet only’ operations who act only as ‘agents’. We firmly believe that, taken together, these benefits will allow you to make the most of your designer holiday with complete peace of mind.