The majestic Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi opened in 1989. In addition to being a hotel, it is also an art exhibition, with original art in both ice and snow that changes from season to season. Each winter a new version of Icehotel is created entirely from ice harvested from the Torne River, one of Sweden's National Heritage Rivers and protected from hydroelectric development.
At this year's 31st version of Icehotel, which opens December 11th, 2020, the following artists (all residents of Sweden) have been selected by Icehotel’s incredible art team.
- Nina Kauppi and Johan Kauppi. Award-winning product designers who have created everything from the Ohm lamp in collaboration with Ifö Electrics, the outdoor gym “Kebne” and jewellery for Tiffany & Co.
- Lena Kriström and Nina Hedman. Sculptors who work with various materials such as snow, ice, stone and magnetite. Residents of Jukkasjärvi and Stockholm.
- Tjåsa Gusfors and Ulrika Tallving. Artist, performer (Tjåsa) and sculptor and stylist (Ulrika), who have created many fabulous ice-and-snow experiences at Icehotel.
- Karl-Johan Ekeroth and Christian Strömqvist. PinPinStudio, a design studio with a focus on playful experiences, both digital and physical.
- John Bark and Charli Kasselbäck. Magazine layout and graphic designers with a great love of typography.
- Emelie Steele. Multi-facetted artist whose creations include dolls that each have a story to tell.
- Anna Öhlund and John Pettersson. Photographer and artist (Anna), ice sculptor and lighting designer (John), who have previously created art suites featuring imaginative use of sound and light at Icehotel.
You can view a selection of their sketches below…