Dreaming of island-hopping in Greece but feeling overwhelmed about where to begin? Fear not, because we're here to guide you every step of the way! At Sunvil, we're passionate about uncovering lesser-known gems through island-hopping. We frequently scour Greece every summer, visiting new islands and properties that we think you will love. To help you plan your island-hopping journey, we've gathered the most frequently asked questions and compiled answers from our Greek experts.
1. Which are the best Greek islands to include in an island-hopping itinerary?
With over 6,000 islands, Greece offers countless island-hopping possibilities. Sunvil features a variety of islands and resorts that can be beautifully combined, and below, we highlight some of our most popular groupings.
Saronic (via Athens)
Western Cyclades (via Athens or Mykonos)
Eastern Cyclades (via Mykonos or Santorini)
(Note: can combine with Western Cyclades Group 1 in season)
Small Cyclades (via Mykonos)
(Note: can combine with Eastern Cyclades or Western Cyclades in season)
Sporades (via Skiathos, weekly durations only)
Dodecanese (via Rhodes or Kos)
(Note: can combine with Ikaria and Samos)
2. How do I travel between the islands?
Ferry services connect most Greek islands, providing a convenient and scenic way to hop between destinations. High-speed ferries are ideal for covering longer distances, while slower ferries offer a more leisurely experience, perfect for taking in the stunning sea views.
3. Is it necessary to book accommodation in advance during peak season?
Yes, during peak summer months, especially on popular islands, booking accommodation in advance is highly recommended. This ensures you secure your preferred accommodation and avoid any last-minute stress. Luckily for you, we are experts in this field and can offer you a portfolio of properties to suit your needs.
4. What's the best time of year for island-hopping in Greece?
The best time for island hopping is from May to October. During this period, you'll enjoy pleasant weather, warm sea temperatures, and vibrant island life. In the peak season of July and August, it can be very hot, overcrowded and more expensive.
5. Are the Greek islands suitable for all types of travellers?
Absolutely! Greece's islands cater to a diverse range of travellers. Whether you're seeking a romantic honeymoon getaway, an active holiday, or a family-friendly escape, there's an island to match your preferences.
6. What are the must-visit attractions on the Greek islands?
Each island has its own unique attractions, but some not-to-be-missed experiences include exploring ancient ruins, indulging in delicious Greek cuisine, and sunbathing on picturesque beaches. Don't forget to immerse yourself in the local culture at traditional villages and lively seaside tavernas.
7. How many islands should I include in my itinerary?
The number of islands you visit depends on your available time and interests. We recommend a minimum of 3 nights on each island - fewer nights means you may not have enough time to fully appreciate the island you are visiting, and if ferry timings dictate a late arrival and an early departure, this is only two full days.
8. Is English widely spoken on the islands?
Yes, English is widely spoken, especially in tourist areas. You'll find that communication is generally not a problem, making it easier to navigate your way around and engage with locals.
9. Can I visit lesser-known islands for a more authentic experience?
Yes! We actively encourage this. Exploring lesser-known islands can provide a more authentic and off-the-beaten-path experience. Consider adding islands like Milos, Folegandros, or Serifos to your itinerary for a taste of unspoiled Greek charm.
10. Any tips for island hopping on a budget?
To save money, travel during shoulder seasons and book your accommodation in advance with us. Opt for local tavernas over touristy restaurants and use public transportation to save costs.
11. Are there any drawbacks I should be aware of?
There will inevitably be waiting time at the ports. Ferries can suffer delays - in the event of significant disruption due to cancellations or bad weather, our team on the ground will re-arrange your itinerary at no additional cost. Luggage has to be carried on and off the ferries so travel light. We have an experienced team of local agents covering all islands but do not employ our own representatives on this programme so we do not provide a rep service as you may have found in our other areas. So, these holidays are aimed at the more independent travellers - however, our local agents can always be contacted if needed.
Now that you're armed with essential insights, you may wonder…
12. Why book an island-hopping holiday with Sunvil?
There are many reasons to choose Sunvil to plan your island-hopping adventure, and some of these include:
- Complete flexibility - these holidays are tailor made and designed to suit your needs. There are no set durations or itineraries, you can fly from any UK airport, into and out of different Greek airports, stay for as many nights as you wish on each island etc.
- Our expert UK team has visited all the islands and is happy to discuss your itinerary in depth with personal recommendations
- All transfers and ferries are included, door to door
- Our experienced team on the ground are always available for assistance if needed
- In the event of late changes of ferry schedules, missed connections due to flight/ferry delay, or cancellations, we are there to re-arrange itineraries, hotels and tickets at no additional cost
So, what are you waiting for? Prepare to be captivated by the beauty, history, and warmth of Greece's stunning archipelago. Contact us today on 020 8758 4758 and allow us to curate a holiday that’s right for you.