When she's not busy looking after our guests, Julie, our local representative on Lefkas can often be found in her kitchen making a range of tasty dishes. Using home grown produce, Julie is renowned for her jams and marmalades which many guests have received as a gift during their holiday! In our latest blog, Julie shares her recipe for a popular Greek snack, courgette balls.
There are many courgette fritter 'Kolokithokeftedes' recipes and our Lefkas representative Julie shares her version of this tasty snack. They’re the perfect pairing of fresh, summer courgettes, feta cheese and fresh herbs, like mint. Simply put, they taste like summer in Greece.
For the recipe you will need:
- 750g - 1kg of courgettes (grated)
- Handful of mint (chopped)
- 1 small onion (grated)
- 50g Feta cheese (crumbled)
- 50g Pecorino cheese (grated)
- Salt and pepper
- To the grated courgette add a half teaspoon of salt and mix thoroughly and leave covered for half an hour. Then put into a clean tea towel and wring out the excess water
- Put into a bowl with the grated onion, feta, mint, pepper and pecorino and mix thoroughly together and shape into small balls (about the size of a golf ball). It's best to put them into the fridge to firm up, for about an hour
- They can be deep or shallow fried for 3-4 mins until a dark golden colour
- Drain them on kitchen towel and serve, preferably with homemade tzatziki